Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Oh Captain, my Captain

Mercenary desperately seeking Captain. Duncan has gone missing in action.

I ain't sure I ever saw him as bitter and closed down as I did that night a couple days ago. He felt double-crossed, I s'pose, and I know what that's like, I was in the same kinda mood my own self. I dunno why Jai did what she did, and why she didn't let Duncan know of her intentions, but it all ended up a big ole mess.

Together with Duncan I committed felony arson, and vandalised the CATZ offices of Prosperity and Hale's Moon. I feel kinda bad about it now, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time. 'Sides, no-one got hurt. Buildings can be replaced, and it ain't like the Zenobians lack the funds to do it.

Later I went with Duncan and Akasha to Caliban to confront Jai and hopefully bust Cody and Lily out of Alliance custody. It didn't go as we had thought, as Jai had, it appeared, perfectly reasonable explanations for her actions, and Cody and Lily were already free. Cody even wandered into the middle of the conversation.

They talked for a long time, and I just stood and listened with Hilde. I seen the look in Duncan's eyes, the look of a man like to do something foolheaded, and I weren't about to be caught off guard. But no shots were fired, no-one got hurt, even though Ditko was gaving me some mighty ugly looks the whole time. Polite as I am, I gave her some right back.

We were walking down the tunnel to the spaceport, me and Duncan and Cody and Kash, when Duncan suddenly just turned and looked at Cody. He said Cody could have the Raivenn, that he was the Captain now. And that he was sick of running no-more. Then he got this eerie look on his face and turned and stepped through the airlock, and activated the time delay after he closed it. We couldn't override it, and by the time we got the door open, Duncan was gone. The Raivenn was still there, but I reckon Duncan took one'a the shuttles outta there. Tired of runnin', well. He ran one last time, hwoon dan.

Told Cody that he weren't my Captain. Been a long time since I sailed with someone, all regular-like, and it takes a lot for me to call someone my Captain. Cody's a nice enough fella and all, but he ain't my Captain. Not e'en close.

Didn't fly outta Caliban with Cody and Kash, didn't feel right. I sat 'round the spaceport 'til some shaggy trader came through, and I hitched a ride out with him.

I gotta find Duncan. Ain't no question 'bout it, he ain't gettin' away that easy. I'm comin' after him, and I got me a pretty good idea on where to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment